Tuesday 5 July 2022

SomeBody, the knitted aneurysm



   In order to make the SomeBody into a much more immersive piece there are a few removable parts. It seemed to me that for a work to be relevant to as many people as possible I would have to put in more than would appear necessary. This work must perform without me and I can not dictate or even imagine the many ways it will affect the viewers so I put in everything that I can imagine.
   I am however not always able to create all that I would like so there are three collaboration within this piece, the first being with Rachael Matthews an olympic level knitter and textile artist!! She has already worked with me on the spinning of fat but here I needed her to knit an aorta with main arteries attached. 
   I presented to her my model of an aneurysm that had been used by medical students (complete with bulging and burst aneurysms) and said 'can you knit one of these?' Without hesitation she said 'yes' and over the extended periods of lockdown sourced a suitable yarn and knitted this section of human.
   The entire work was knitted in one piece, no joins and there are bifurcations and enlarged areas of aneurysm. It was knitted on three fine needles in fine yarn and is full size.



here it is all coiled up ready to be plugged into the heart......
 


..a close up of the bifurcations


...and here filled with blood


...and empty of blood......blood made of all of the offcuts from making the vascular system (featured earlier.)

NB. although they aren't relevant in the anti-knife crime context we left the aneurysms in so that the model can have another life if need be.


next: what happens when we turn the back page of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...