Friday 14 June 2019

Epiploic Cube Part One




  Listening to surgeons speak about operating I would hear them talk about the planes of the body which intrigued me. I also began to hear about spaces in the body that sounded rather strange and then during laparoscopic surgery witnessed spaces being created .Up until about 18 months ago I was concerning myself with trying to understand how basic anatomy worked and what sort of challenges were face with stitching. I had looked at diagrams and museum specimens and seen the live body from inside but now there appeared to be another way of looking at it all, the surgeons understanding of a 3-D organic form.
  Last year I had made myself a magic cube toy in foam and leftover fabrics. As I rotated each surface out I watched my own hands mirror those of the surgeon and I looked at the toy with fresh eyes! In short I decided to make another but this time in embroidered silks. Each surface would use textile techniques of the 17th and 18th centuries and I would use the colours I'd seen in keyhole surgery. Many hours later and a day spent with a magician and I have the Epiploic Cube to present; a textile investigation of surgical conceptual space.
 The next few posts will show some of the ideas in the cube.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...