Tuesday 4 June 2019

It's all about me



  Well, this post is in particular. I have been asked several times how this project has affected my own work and I have evaded the question each time. It's not because I didn't want to but I have been aware from the start that the answer was so big that I may never get to the end. I just didn't want to give one aspect more importance than another. Finally though I have been able to get some coherent thoughts to sit on a page and here they are, briefly. Each bullet point could be discussed at encyclopaedic length but I shall leave that to another time!
1. Like Barbara Hepworth I am a medical artist in residence. My work during this time , like hers, is anomalous to my usual work. We have a shared experience, we witnessed the 'unity of purpose' and it  has a profound and life changing effect.
2. Life filters into your work, everything affects you.
3. The end result hides the process, the real work, work in every stitch. The end result can not be hurried.
4. Expert practise is highly nuanced, it's all about subtleties not nuts and bolts.
5. A community of thought opens up to me, an endangered species.

(the image above is of an old fob watch case that I filled with embroidered moss, tiny fungi and fragments of stories. Like me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...