Saturday 1 June 2019

Tool use


  
  I love to watch the use of tools in surgery. Of course they are referred to as instruments which immediately gives them more importance both in the way they are regarded and used. How do we look at tools in daily life, reverently or just taken for granted? Does their cost affect our opinion of them or does it blind us to their place in our lives. As a rule I do not carry mine from room to room neither do I have them on the bedside table. I look after my needles and scissors and they are kept in their places so that I always know where they are.
  It is said that it is our tool use that defines our consciousness as a species, we are tool users. Our hands and brain work together as one which evolves our neural networks; making our own tools pushes that even further.
 After observing how we use our daily instruments I have come to the conclusion that the rules of engagement for all tool use are emotional ones;
1. don't be seduced by it.
2. don't worship it.
3. don't forget who is master.
4. look after it.

( the image above is of my making the first 300 digits of pi in needlelace, it was all about the zero.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...